How Celbridge got its Name
- The old Irish name for Celbridge was Kildrought or Kildroighid. This was an anglicised version of the original Gaelic name Cill Droichid, the church of the bridge, which was the ancient church of St. Mochua.
- The name was changed to Celbridge following the Williamite conquests. George Finey - a staunch supporter of King William, on his arrival in Kildrought built a house on the Main Street between 1724 and 1728. He had three stone tablets, which can still be seen , inserted in the street front. The centre tablet is inscribed "Celbridge, Anno 1724" and is of particular interest at it confirms that it was in this period that the old Irish name was changed to Celbridge.