- The earliest reference to a mill in Celbridge was in 1217, which was to be the Manor Mill of Kildrought. It was a corn and tuck mill which continued as such in different buildings until 1805. In that year a firm from Yorkshire came to Celbridge to open the largest woollen fabrics factory in Ireland. About 600 people were employed there which included many children, who were paid 16p per week.
- The factory closed in 1837 but was reopened again in 1939 by Irish Gowns. Navan Carpets acquired the premises in 1858 and its now owned by the Celbridge Community Council.
Did You Know?
- The first mill in Celbridge was built by the Normans. It was used by farmers to ground their corn which was then used to make bread and porridge.
- Brown wrapping paper and post cards were made from peat in Celbridge Mill in 1903.
- Hydro electricity was first used in Celbridge Mill in 1903.
- Army clothing which was worn by Napoleon's army was made in Celbridge Mill at the beginning of the nineteenth century.